From: John Cox
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 12:19 AM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Retirement Day for John Cox

[MOD. NOTE: John has been a giant among us. We will all miss
him!]

Dear Readers:

After 42 years in publishing - college textbooks, childrens'
books, educational books and periodicals and, for the last twenty
years scholarly publishing, I have decided to retire.  Today my
company will cease to trade.

I have been in publishing since 1969.  During that time, I have
seen profound changes.  First of all, technology transformed the
way the publishing process operated; I was responsible for
automating page make-up and typesetting in the mid-1980s.  Then
the Internet changed the delivery of information for ever, first
in scholarly journals, then e-books, and now in general
publishing.  I played some part in that evolution, putting Carfax
journals online in 1995, and drafting a suite of model licenses
that have been widely used in journal publishing.  It has been a
challenging and fascinating time.  And I would like to thank all
my friends and colleagues in publishing, libraries and throughout
the distribution chain for making this such an engaging and
challenging experience.

So far as the model licenses are concerned, they will continue to
be freely available to use.  They will be managed and maintained
by Ringgold.

I shall continue to be active.  I have a couple of non-executive
directorships, and am still involved in civil aviation in the UK
as a consumer representative.

John Cox

Managing Director
John Cox Associates Ltd