Re: Future of the "subscription model?"

If Rick spent that much time analyzing markets of books published
by university presses, then he should realize that the range in
sales goes from about 200 copies up to over a million.

Let me give you some examples at the higher end of the scale,
books that were considered quite specialized and even esoteric
when originally published. The translation of the I Ching in the
Bollingen Series was not expected to sell well, as a rather
esoteric work of ancient China, but when Haight Asbury got wind
of it in the 1960s, Princeton U.P. began shipping truckloads of
it out west. I'm sure the total sales have exceeded one million
by this time.  I submitted Richard Rorty's Philosophy and the
Mirror of nature for an NEH subsidy, which it was awarded, for a
then modest first printing of 1,500 copies in 1979.  It went on
to become a phenomenal success across multiple disciplines and
launched Rorty's career as a public intellectual. Total sales are
well in excess of 100,000. Even a revised dissertation like Peter
Evans's Dependent Development (1979) about Brazil became a
popular classroom staple and has sold around 30,000 copies. And
then there is Harry Frankfurt's "On Bullshit," which started its
life as an article in a professional philosophy journal, but then
was put out in a new series by Princeton as a very short
book--and went on to sell so well that it was at or near the top
of the NY Times best seller list for weeks on end. Its sales are
in the range of a half million copies.  So, seemingly quite
specialized works can sell very well indeed. That's the fun of
publishing: one never knows which books are going to have this
unexpected success.

Sandy Thatcher