Re: Future of the "subscription model?"

I will not try to question whether what Rick says about journal
articles being published only based on quality, not relevance or
importance, is correct--I suspect there is some truth to this,
but believe that even in that sphere it is an exaggeration--but
it is hardly the case for scholarly book publishing, And here
again i will refer to the unique nature of the decisionmaking
process for books, which involves a complex dynamic interplay of
the perspectives of staff editors, external reviewers, and
faculty editorial boards.

In this tripartite process, only the external reviewers are
concerned mainly (if not only) about quality; that is what they
are asked to do, and presses depend on them to make that kind of
professional assessment. The staff editors and the members of the
faculty editorial boards, however, do NOT function as "experts"
in this process, but rather have a broader point of view, where
issues of relevance and importance to the wider community of
scholars )outside the narrow speciality of the book) and beyond
to readers outside academe very much come into play. Indeed, if
anything, I worry that the "market" in this broader sense has
played TOO large a role in presses' decisions about what to
publish in recent years, making quality pure and simple less of a
decisive criterion than it used to be in earlier days. Rick may
not know this, but presses do turn a lot of books down on market
grounds, because they do not think they are relevant or important
enough to interest a wider audience.

Sandy Thatcher

P.S. If librarians are worried about publishing based just on
quality alone, then why are they so excited about PLoS ONE, which
narrows the criteria even further, to just methodological
soundness, not even assessing articles on the basis of
substantive contribution?