Re: OA economics & libraries

I introduced the costs study as a data point.  It's interesting
and maybe tells us something in addition to list participants
stating their opinions.  Of course, when such studies reinforce
our prejudices we cite them; when they don't, we invent charming
analogies to show why they can't possibly be true.

I introduced 'flexibility' in response to the comments in the
first paragraph of Sandy's post.  (I think I was quite clear
about that.)  Sandy spoke of publishers being 'quick on their
feet'.  'Flexible' isn't an exact synonym, but not far off.  And
of course I wasn't suggesting that the only sign of flexibility
for a commercial publisher is to go down an OA route.  All I was
doing was responding to Sandy's contention that large commercial
publishers - who he suggested were fleet of foot when adopting
new models - are rushing to embrace gold OA.  I think that the
evidence is that they are doing it slowly, if at all, and
generally in such a way to try to replicate current revenue
levels rather the way than BMC or PLoS One did.  As Joe reminds
us, this is classic Christensen territory.  I would suggest that
what we are witnessing at the moment better reflects
Christensen's view of the commercial world than Sandy's.

In a cheekily entitled blog post
(http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=686) Michael Eisen listed
the PLoS One clones launched in the past year.  I don't know if
the list is exhaustive, I don't spot any obvious omissions, but
the list is split pretty much half-and-half society/commercial
publishers, with only one from the very biggest of the
commercials.  Again, I don't see any evidence that in this case
commercial entities are any more 'quick on their feet' than the
non-profit sector.  But as Sandy speaks to many more commercial
publishers than I do perhaps he can provide the evidence.

David