Re: Hathi Orphans?

David,

For books a publisher originally published and retains rights,
it's easy a) to tell you we hold the rights and b) to tell you if
it's ok to digitize or not.  For books on which we relinquished
rights decades ago and have lost contact with the
author/agent/estate, then it's not that we don't want to help,
it's that we don't have the staff resources to start hunting down
the current rights holder.  And really, if you want to start a
mass-digitization project, then it's your responsibility to track
down rights, not somebody else's. Publishers can't speak for
those people and we also can't change laws dictating that the
book in question remains in copyright.  I am continually
astonished at what seems to be a de facto assumption that presses
have people sitting around with nothing to do who can thus be
assigned to laborious tasks that offer no contribution to the
viability of the organization.

I will concede that publishers who may or may not own the rights
to books long ago published by companies they later acquired do
have a responsibility to establish whether or not they continue
to hold rights.  But it's a slog and needs to be accomplished on
a schedule that the publisher defines as appropriate to its own
operations, not the wants of parties who want them to do so as a
public good (we all decide ourselves when and how to engage in
charitable activities).  And again, if the establish that rights
were relinquished, they have no way of knowing who the
rightsholder is today for a book they may have let go many, many
years ago.

That said, I also don't know how somebody (eg, a mass digitizer)
seeking rights figures out what current publisher might own
rights for books that have passed through four or five rounds of
mergers and acquisitions.  So far as I know there's no central
place to discover, for example, who owns Appleton Century books
today.  That would be a useful resource, but who would put it
together and how they would do so?  Heck, I don't even know who
holds rights to the still-in-print books published my first
employer some forty years ago (Dodd, Mead).

In short, anyone who thinks straightening all this out is either
easy or cheap--or who thinks most publishers have the resources
to tackle it in the face of all else going on right now--is
engaged in a bit of self-delusion. An agency like CCC no doubt
can help, but it would be unreasonable to expect them to do more
than they deem manageable.  And it wouldn't be unreasonable for
them to charge a fee to conduct these searches.

Copyright's messy and hard.  I expect we can all agree the
laws--both international and domestic to US--need changing.  But
in the meantime it's just not realistic to expect publishers to
bear the burden for groups who want to digitize collections of
books.

My two cents,

Alex

Alex Holzman