Re: Hathi Orphans?

It's not that many of these older books are true "orphans,"
David, it's rather that older contracts often did not contain
clauses covering digital rights, or that all rights were reverted
to the authors and the presses haven't bothered to keep track of
them.  Why would they? They never anticipated ever wanting to
bring these books back into print, and they hadn't dreamed of a
world with scanners and POD.

The work of acquiring digital rights and tracking down authors to
whom rights were reverted is not necessarily difficult, but it
can suck up a lot of time and energy, and the ROI to be realized
from bringing these older titles back into "print" (or
"commercial availability," as we call it these days) is seldom
great enough to make this a top priority for presses when there
are so many other things to be done.

I feel confident, though, that if libraries offered to presses on
their campuses to research these issues and do the legwork and
negotiating with authors once located, in exchange for the right
to digitize them as part of a mass digitization project, the
presses would be happy to oblige. Then they could benefit from
some small incremental revenue from supplying POD editions, which
they might even share with the libraries. (This is the
arrangement that Penn State Press has with the Libraries for its
Metalmark digital reprint series.)

if the libraries want to just go ahead and digitize these older
works without doing and such research and simply use an opt-out
procedure if anyone objects to the posting, my guess is that the
presses would not stand in their way, but would also want to bear
no legal liability themselves for any financial losses that might
result from infringement suits brought against the university.

Sandy Thatcher