Re: Hathi Orphans?

I think that part of the problem and frustration for those who
wish to digitise is that there appear to be two positions coming
from the publishing community.

The first is, crudely, 'We have no idea whether we own the
copyright to all these old titles and there is no financial
benefit to us in finding out'.

The second is, equally crudely, 'How dare you steal our precious
property from us.  If we're going to allow this then we need
compensation'.

Now it may be perfectly legal and moral to hold both views
simultaneously, but it doesn't help if you're planning a
mass-digitisation project of 20th century orphan works.  If it is
too much trouble for publishers to check the status of works then
let us digitise them (perhaps with suitable take-down policies).
If these are valuable properties then help use determine who owns
them so we can exclude them.

David