Governance and the not-for-profit publisher

I just wrote a blog post, "Governance and the Not-for-profit
Publisher." It's at the Scholarly Kitchen:

http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2011/10/24/governance-and-the-not-for-profit-publisher/

This is a topic that I have been thinking about for some time
now: Why is it that despite the huge number of NFP publishers in
scholarly communications, the field is nonetheless dominated by a
small number of commercial enterprises?  Someone is doing
something right, and someone is doing something wrong, but what
that something is is elusive.

There no doubt are other explanations for this riddle.  I would
be very much interested to hear them.

Joe Esposito

Joseph J. Esposito
Portable CEO