Re. Hathi Orphans?

Actually, most university press contracts i am familiar with do
indeed put the onus on the author to initiate action to have
rights reverted. And so does the provision of federal copyright
law I mentioned: authors must act in order for the 35-year
termination to take place. Our contract at Penn State Press, when
i was director, included a reference to this statutory
termination right; hardly any publishing contracts do.  This is
how it read:

>This grant shall endure for the full term of copyright unless,
>by statutory right, the Author serves written notice on the
>Publisher of his intention to terminate it; this termination
>must occur within the period specified by law, and the Publisher
>must be notified at least two years prior to the termination
>date.

The regular, contractually provided termination clause read thus:

>This agreement shall continue in force for the full term of the
>United States copyright (unless the Author exercises the
>statutory right to terminate it in the period defined by law)
>and for the term of any other copyright or renewal or
>continuation or extension thereof that relates to the work and
>accrues to the Author under the present or any future Act of
>Congress or under the present or future law of any country in
>which copyright is secured, but subject to the following:  If,
>any time later than three years after the date of publication of
>the work, the Publisher advises the Author in writing to his
>last known address that it has become necessary to discontinue
>publication, or if the Publisher fails to keep the work in print
>and neglects to reprint it or license its reprinting within six
>months after the Author's written request that it do so, then
>the Author has the right to terminate this agreement by written
>notice.  (The work shall be considered "in print" as long as
>copies are offered for sale in the United States through normal
>retail and wholesale channels in an English-language clothbound
>or paperbound version and are available from the Publisher or
>its licensee and listed in catalogues issued to the trade.)
>Upon receipt of the Author's notice, the Publisher will assign
>the copyright of the work to the Author; thereupon all then
>existing rights granted to the Publisher under this agreement
>shall revert to the Author, except that the Publisher will
>continue to receive its share of the proceeds from any license
>already granted prior to receipt of the Author's notice.

Sandy Thatcher