Re: Re. Hathi Orphans?

I'm not sure what you mean by "let go" here. Just because they
are orphans, they are, by definition, not owned by any existing
publishing house. They are books whose rights have been
transferred back to the authors or authors' heirs. What do
publishers have to gain by joining in an effort to systematically
identify the status of millions of orphan works, the vast
majority of which they will never have any reason to use? Given
that rights and permissions departments at many publishing houses
are understaffed and overworked, whom do you propose should do
this extra work, and who should pay for it? There is
collaboration on a case-by-case basis among publishers. The AAUP,
for example, has a listserv for rights and permission staff to
share information like this.

Sandy Thatcher