RE: Princeton bans academics from handing all copyright..

I don't think there is a lot of disagreement anymore among
scholarly journal publishers about allowing the peer-reviewed but
not archival version of articles to be posted on institutional
and personal web sites.  (Most publishers still insist on some
form of embargo for posting of the archival version, however.)

The proliferation of multiple versions of articles that this
practice involves creates its own problems, however, and these
were discussed in the special issue of Against the Grain in its
April 2011 issue devoted to The Challenges of Bibliographic
Control and Scholarly Integrity in an Online World of Multiple
Versions of Journal Articles, which I co-edited with NISO's Todd
carpenter.

****

The article below is seriously misleading in at least two ways:

>Prestigious US academic institution Princeton University will
>prevent researchers from giving the copyright of scholarly
>articles to journal publishers, except in certain cases where a
>waiver may be granted.

That is misleading because it treats copyright as a single
entity, which can be transferred or not only as a whole. whereas
in fact copyright consists of a bundle of rights of various
types. It also does not distinguish between exclusive and
nonexclusive rights.  Only publishers that operate on an
open-access business model can afford not to have authors
transfer to them a number of exclusive rights, which being
exclusive allow the publisher to bring suit for infringement.
What Princeton and like policies do is to require faculty to
retain a nonexclusive right for themselves and their universities
to post a less-than-final version of their articles to the Web.
They do not at all interfere with any author's right to transfer
various exclusive rights to a publisher.

>"What will be most telling will be the publishers' response over
>the next year or so. If they start providing amended agreements
>to Princeton academics then the door will be open for other
>universities to follow this lead. I suspect however they will
>not, as generally the trend seems for publishers to make the
>open access path a complex and difficult one."

Most publishers will not engage in individual journal contract
negotiations because that makes for a horribly inefficient and
wasteful process, which would have to be paid for by increasing
the subscription price of journals. Instead, most publishers have
adopted a general policy toward Green OA, which satisfies the
needs of these university policies, and these publisher policies
are summarized on Sherpa Romeo's site:
http://www.sherpa.ac.uk/romeo/

The last sentence is way out of date, as many commercial and
non-profit publishers are well along the way toward adopting Gold
OA business models, especially in light of the tremendous success
that PLoS One has had.  What universities now need to worry about
is not whether publishers will resist open access but whether
they will make it equally costly for universities to support. On
this point, see Richard Poynder's illuminating interview with
BioOne's Mark Kurtz:

http://poynder.blogspot.com/2011/09/interview-with-bioones-mark-kurtz.html

Sandy Thatcher