RE: Princeton bans academics from handing all copyright..

I still do not see how publishers including Elsevier are trying
to thwart authorial rights.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Kevin Smith
Sent: 03 October 2011 21:58
To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Subject: Re: Princeton bans academics from handing all copyright..

I am sorry if my post was not clear, but no hyperbole, or even
controversy, was intended.

It is, of course, perfectly possible for a university to claim
faculty works as work made for hire.  Indeed, many schools do
make this claim over certain types of works, but it is fairly
rare to assert work for hire over traditional works of faculty
scholarship like journal articles.  Staff work is often treated
differently. But in any case, my point was that a work for hire
claim by the employing institution is very different from a
self-imposed non-exclusive license granted to the university by
the faculty authors themselves, who must be the copyright holders
in order to do so.

As a member of my university's intellectual property board, I can
assure you that I perceive no desire at all to assert work for
hire over faculty scholarship.

As for the comment about publishers wishing to thwart open access
policies, I can simply refer you to the new "author rights"
policies adopted by Elsevier and the American Chemical Society.
Elsevier especially is very clearly trying to discourage faculty
open access policies, attempting to grant more generous rights to
authors at schools without such policies. Such new rules from
publishers, of course, would not be needed if faculty work was
all work for hire, but these publishers clearly understand that
this is not the case.  There may be exceptions, but making those
exceptions into an argument against the general point is not
helpful.

Kevin L. Smith, M.L.S., J.D.
Director of Scholarly Communications
Duke University, Perkins Library