Re: Open Access and Peer Review

Hi Bill

No, I'm referring to a series of emails that document a meeting
(or meetings?) between Eric Dezenhall (a PR expert) and employees
from Elsevier, Wiley and the American Chemical Society in July
2006.  From the emails, the publishers had felt themselves "under
siege" from OA. (PLoS appears to have been Enemy Number 1, but it
was OA in general).

Dezenhall had argued that these publishers were far too defensive
in their approach to OA, and he had proposed various more
aggressive strategies. These included spreading the view that
"Public access equals government censorship" and that traditional
publishers should equate their publishing with peer-review, and
then paint a picture of what the academic world would look like
without peer-review.  So, this would have laid the groundwork
for, and reinforced the idea of, equating OA with lack of
peer-review.

The feeling was that it simply didn't matter if the public
statements were discredited (i.e. shown to be lies), because
"Media messaging is not the same as intellectual debate." This
statement lends itself to unfortunate interpretations.

The emails suggest that most of the views were very warmly
received (although I'm not sure that Dezenhal's other suggestions
- that the publishers should team up with other industries, like
oil, who were running foul of government regulations - were taken
up).

As I say, I don't know overall just how many really do believe
that rubbish, but I have come across it, and I've seen oblique
reference and innuendo along those lines even in scholarly blogs.

Regards

Ken

------

Dr. Ken Masters
Asst. Professor: Medical Informatics
Medical Education Unit
College of Medicine & Health Sciences
Sultan Qaboos University
Sultanate of Oman
E-i-C: The Internet Journal of Medical Education