Re: Open Access and Peer Review

Hi Sabrina

To answer your first question: whatever you find, don't expect it
to be uniform.  Just as there is no set uniform standard of
peer-review for Non-OA publishers and journals, so there is no
set uniform standard of peer-review for OA publishers and
journals.

There was an attempt some years back to consciously link OA with
non-peer-review in a move to discredit OA.  I'm not entirely sure
how seriously it was taken, and how widely it was used, but it
did have some success: from my personal discussions with
academics, that image does persist, but there is nothing inherent
in the OA model that either encourages or discourages
peer-review: it's up to the publisher and journal.

Regards

Ken
------

Dr. Ken Masters
Asst. Professor: Medical Informatics
Medical Education Unit
College of Medicine & Health Sciences
Sultan Qaboos University
Sultanate of Oman
E-i-C: The Internet Journal of Medical Education