Re: Re. Hathi Orphans?

Jean-Claude, be careful what you wish for.

A publisher identifies the owner of an orphan work.  If that
owner is the publisher, does the publisher turn the rights over
to another entity?  Or does the publisher put the work on a
server, with a link to POD, monetizing the work if anybody
happens to come along?

Some publishers (Duke just did this) will be happy to turn over
works that have no commercial value (at this time) to third
parties that share the publishers' mission.  Some will do the
equivalent of what the STM association has recently promulgated:
issue a statement of no commercial value so that a third party
can use the material, but control continues to vest with the
publisher.  And some publishers will seek to monetize the
property (for that is what it is) themselves.  There are far more
publishers in the third category.

I happen to believe that publishers should research orphan works
and that they should have been doing this ever since the
possibility of low-cost distribution came on the horizon.  But
the outcome of such a practice may be very different from what
HathiTrust and other digitization projects envision.

Joe Esposito