Re: Re. Hathi Orphans?

I'd like to stand this on its head if I may.  If I were
undertaking a huge venture that might involve usurping rights I
legally don't own, I would think it my responsibility to try all
I could to reach those rightsholders. Did Hathi Trust reach out
to the Authors Guild to try to work with them? (And by the way,
the Authors Guild is NOT a publisher, so why talk about how
publishers should be the ones reaching out here?  The lawsuit
comes from an authors' organization.)

>From where I sit it was/is Hathi Trust's responsibility to go the
extra mile in sorting this out.  I don't know if they include any
Temple books whose rights reverted back to the author, but if
they do, I'd have been/would be glad to put them in touch with
the current rightsholder or say that we don't have any contact
info regarding that.  To my knowledge, we've received no such
inquiries from HT.

Alex Holzman
Director
Temple University Press