From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Kevin Smith
Sent: 29 September 2011 23:47
To: "liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu"@lists.yale.edu
Subject: RE: Princeton bans academics from handing all copyright to journal
publishers

Having looked at the actual language, I think the operative terms
are essentially the same as Harvard's (and Duke's), although the
way it is being discussed seems quite different.

In all such policies the university is given a license in the
works that is prior to any copyright transfer to a publisher.
Technically, therefore, the rights that are transferred are
subject to that license; hence the language of "banning" the
wholesale transfer of copyright used by Princeton. The
differences amongst universities come in implementation.  Will
some universities elect to act in a way that is contrary to the
terms of the publication agreements the authors enter into (by
posting articles or versions of articles where the publication
agreement purports not to permit the specific posting)?  Doing so
would seem to be legally permissible under the claim of a prior
license, but it could also put the faculty members in a difficult
position unless they are very careful about what they sign (as
they should be but seldom are).

An alternative is for the university to exercise the license in a
more nuanced way, taking into account the various publisher
policies as much as possible.  That, of course, makes open access
repositories much more labor-intensive and difficult, especially
as publishers change their policies to try a thwart these
expressions of authorial rights.

Kevin L. Smith, M.L.S., J.D.
Director of Scholarly Communications
Duke University, Perkins Library