Re: Hathi Orphans

What this article makes me wonder is, did the HathiTrust ever
consider asking a publisher, like the University of Michigan
Press, about the procedures it follows for determining whether a
copyright work is an orphan or not? This is a problem publishers
have long been accustomed to grappling with, and they have worked
out good procedures for resolving the question. Libraries have
not had much reason in the past to worry about the orphan status
of works in their collections, I assume, so this is a new
challenge for them.  My guess is that a publisher would not have
made the same kinds of mistakes that HathiTrust evidently made
with some of its determinations, as embarrassingly revealed by
the Authors Guild.

Sandy Thatcher