October Issue of Learned Publishing

Learned Publishing October, issue 4 2011

Green, Green, it's Green OA they say... LP October issue now out

But is it really on the far side of the hill? Or further away? Or
out of reach altogether?

Given the fashionable connotation that "green" implies
sustainable development, a conclusion of a RIN (Research
Information Network) study that Green OA is probably not the best
model for a sustainable future might be seen as ironic. Or not,
since "Green" and "Gold" were always peculiar terms to use.
Whatever your persuasion, Michael Jubb and his co-authors take us
through, in some detail, a summary of their work on this topic
"Heading for the Open Road" (see where I got the idea of using
some double meaning of the terminology?).

But we really give the implications of some of these ideas a
working over in this issue of LP (by coincidence). We also have a
detailed article from Julia Wallace updating us on the huge PEER
project. This is investigating, with help from all sectors, any
systematic effects of Green OA and has so far processed 44,000
documents for its "observatory" - see where it's got to so far.

And then we have a survey from Chris Armbruster of many
institutions, in a variety of countries, who have instituted a
policy of repository deposit, and how they've got on, and what
lessons can be learned.

All good stuff, but enough related to OA, you might say. Well,
OK, but there's another article with a part repository angle at
least. How can you know what usage of a published article is if
the final version resides on both repositories and on the
publisher site? Good question. PIRUS2 has been attempting to
answer that and has decided it is feasible to aggregate the
stats. Check out why they think that and what recommendations
they make in Peter Shepherd's article.

Shifting gear a bit, have you wondered what results from
deep-discounted or free access to journals for developing
countries? Phil Davis has conducted a study for the agricultural
area in sub-Saharan Africa - do they produce more, cite more etc
as a result? Interesting findings.

Or perhaps you want to sell more to some of the quickly
developing areas - following on from our article on Russia, we
now have one on Brazil - no longer is the quote true: "it's the
country of the future, and it always will be." David Myers fills
us in on what is really the only show in town as far as Brazil is
concerned, in "Selling to the BRIC - Brazil."

Back to the developed world -- we know, don't we, that just a few
publishers produce most of the journals and articles, with a very
long tail of smaller ones. But would you like to see it
quantified? We have an article that tries to do that - do let me
know if you fully understand the associated diagrams (not
necessary to understand the article) and I might give you an
honourable mention, or ask you to be a referee on future
submissions.

The journal publishing system within China is changing fast, and
we would all do well to watch it (more on this in future issues).
But it's not without internal strains - a cry from some in the
system - "will access be sacrificed for profit?" would presumably
have been unthinkable a few years ago - see why they're worried.

And lastly, we have a research letter which may be the last word,
as far as LP is concerned, on the "submit when hot" (i.e. re
seasonal bias in peer review), plus, of course, some meaty book
reviews.

Alan Singleton

Editor, Learned Publishing

All articles are free to all ALPSP and SSP members (via the SSP
members page) and to journal subscribers; in addition,
editorials, reviews and letters to the Editors, as well as any
articles where the author has taken up the "ALPSP Author Choice"
OA option, are now free to all.  If you would like to receive an
email alert or RSS feed every time a new issue goes online, all
you have to do is sign up at:
http://alpsp.publisher.ingentaconnect.com/content/alpsp/lp

To obtain free access to the journal, ALPSP members should access
it via the ALPSP website.  If you do not have a username and
password, please email info@alpsp.org

Diane Scott-Lichter
North American Editor, Learned Publishing