RE: Guardian on research publishing

I too agree with Sandy Thatcher on this.

Recasting this in my quality vs. excellence framework, I would
say that it is indeed within the individual that the quest to go
further, higher, etc. is really significant. Let each individual
look for his/her most excellent papers. It is really within
oneself that one can aspire to reach more, higher, better, etc...

At the scale of an institution, and, a fortiori, at the scale of
"Big Science" (de Solla Price), we witness a mass production of
knowledge that requires quality control, as in any industry. It
is an intellectual industry. Now, if the analogy is correct, who
has ever heard of "excellence control" in a factory?

Jean-Claude Guedon