From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Sandy Thatcher
Sent: 07 September 2011 23:37
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Guardian on research publishing

Interestingly, this critic does not mention the one approach that
is likely to be effective in solving the problem he notes, viz.,
limiting the number of papers that a scholar can submit to a
promotion-and-tenure committee. That forces scholars to select
what they believe to be their most valuable contributions to
scholarship, undercuts the incentive to waste time publishing
many more papers than the number than can be submitted, and
limits what those on the committee need to read to make their
assessments. This approach has been implemented in a number of
places, such as Harvard Medical School as i recall, but it should
be much more widely adopted.

Sandy Thatcher