Re: Librarians who pay for nothing (Re: Economics of Green OA)

Thank you very much for your full reply.  Would you mind if I
asked some other questions?  You are not, of course, under any
obligation to respond to me, but it would be a great help to me
if you would, as I am spending a considerable amount of time
setting up financially sustainable open access projects and any
new piece of information helps.

You say that one goal was to make the service available to
"international" scientists and it is in pursuit of this goal that
the policy of no fee to upload an article is maintained.  I may
misunderstand this, but I infer that by "international" you mean
researchers from societies less affluent than, say, the U.S.,
Japan, or Germany--for whom, indeed, $50 (or even $1) may be an
impossible sum to raise.  If I misunderstand this, please correct
me.

I am curious if an analysis has been done that maps the actual
submissions to the national economies of the scientists.  Such an
analysis would reveal how many papers come from economically
privileged societies and how many from developing economies.  I
imagine that the number from developing economies must be quite
large or you would not have such a policy.  Even if 30% of the
papers came from developing economies, it would still be much
less expensive to simply grant free access to some countries, fee
access to others.  So a mathematician at Harvard or the U. of
Illinois would pay $50 per submission, but someone working in
particle physics in Somalia would not.  Other exceptions to the
fee could also be administered easily. I note, for example, that
the local movie theater in my town has three different prices:
for children under 12, for "seniors" over 60, and for people in
between, who pay the most.  Surely arXiv could come up with a
similarly useful system.  Since we are, after all, dealing with
research scientists, the solution could be amusingly clever--you
might pay less, for example, as you approached the speed of
light.

A related question is what proportion of the scientists submit
multiple papers in a year.  If the average is 1 or a bit more,
then the $50 fee does not seem outlandish, but if the average
researcher submits 50 papers a year, than a $50 fee per paper
even from someone teaching at an Ivy League institution might be
prohibitive.

The basic question is whether the people who actually use the
service might reasonably be asked to contribute to its operaton,
allowing for the circumstances of the impecunious.

When foundations, wealthy alumni, and government agencies give
money to not-for-profit services like arXiv, that money is not
free. Capital is finite.  The money that goes to arXix could as
well go to soup kitchens or special education for autistic
children.  arXiv happens to be that rare noncommercial enterprise
that has within its grasp the potential not to draw on the public
purse or on the largesse of individuals.  I would hope that as an
act of charity, arXiv would shoulder its own weight.

Joe Esposito