UK's Unbound Lets A-listers, Aspirants Pitch for Cash to Publish

At last year's Charleston Conference I gave a talk titled "Back
to the Future" in which I promoted the idea of crowdsource
financing as one way toward moving scholarly book publishing
toward an open-access model. The paper I later published in
Against the Grain (Feb. 2011) is available here:
http://www.psupress.org/news/SandyThatchersWritings.html

I'm delighted to see that this idea is beginning to be put into
practice, albeit not specifically in scholarly publishing.

Sandy Thatcher