RE: Librarians who pay for nothing (Re: Economics of Green OA)

Dear Colleagues - Sandy's point about the role of endowments in
long-term sustainability of online academic resources is well
taken.  At Cornell, we've considered this option for arXiv (and
continue to explore it); however, not as a sole source of income.
Business plans need to be diversified to avoid a single point of
failure.  SEP is certainly an inspiring case. In their ISQ
article, Edward Zalta and Uri Nodelman eloquently describe both
the potential and limitations of the endowments approach:

http://www.niso.org/publications/isq/free/OP_Zalta_Nodelman_Stanford_isqv22no4.pdf

SEP's annual budget is $200,000/year whereas arXiv is a more
complicated and evolving operation with an annual budget of
approximately $500,000.  So if arXiv were to rely on endowment
payouts, it would require an endowment of $10+ million.

Our goal for ensuring the long-term stability (and of course
growth and innovation) for arXiv is building a diverse financial
portfolio that combines contributions from libraries, research
centers, foundations, and initiatives such as SCOAP3 - blended
with endowment income. Stewardship of open access academic
resources such as arXiv involves not only covering the
operational costs but also continuing to enhance their value
based on the needs of the user community and the evolving
patterns and modes of scholarly communication. An integral part
of our business planning process is assessing the technologies,
standards, services, policies and communities that constitute
arXiv and determining a research and innovation agenda to advance
the service. We will continue to write grants and engage in
collaborations to secure funds that will support research and
development work as well as growing specific subject domains
(such as mathematics).

We believe that open access services such as arXiv must have
clearly defined mandates and associated governance structures to
reflect a commitment to the long-term stewardship of a service.
Establishing a transparent and participatory governance structure
will thus be a critical factor in generating institutional fees
as well as formulating a diverse financial strategy. During the
last several months, we reviewed a range of potential legal
status options to establish a community-based support and
governance structure and appropriate procedures for strategic,
operational, and fiscal oversight.  We continue our planning work
and hope to share more information on this front in a couple of
months.

Best regards,

Oya

Oya Y. Rieger, Ph.D.