Re: Economics of Green Open Access

Joseph Esposito and I still are not understanding one another:
Green OA self-archiving is not, as Joseph has suggested, a
*parasite*: It is an *enzyme*, a catalyst, accelerating and
facilitating the natural process of transition from today's
access for subscribers-only to tomorrow's (online) access (to the
author's refereed final draft) for all would-be users. That is
far as my own interest, as a researcher, goes. But it is unlikely
(as Joseph notes) to end there: universal Green OA is eventually
likely to make subscriptions unsustainable, thereby inducing a
universal transition to Gold OA publishing, at a much lower price
(for peer review alone) per article published, paid by
institutions out of their windfall annual subscription
cancellation savings, with text-generation, (online-only) access
provision and archiving and their costs all offloaded onto the
distributed global network of Green OA institutional
repositories.

The moral of the story is that there is no need for the research
community to wait for the publishing community to convert to Gold
OA of its own accord, and particularly not at Gold OA's
needlessly high current asking price, and while the money to pay
for it is still locked into subscriptions: Universities and
research funders can mandate Green OA self-archiving, now. That
will ensure 100% Green OA; and publishing can and will adapt as
need be, as a matter of natural course, if and when it becomes
necessary.

[SNIP]

Stevan Harnad
EnablingOpenScholarship