RE: Reed Elsevier results

I wonder why you lobby so hard against OA efforts if they are so
ineffective?  Anyway, Elsevier's products on strongly established
legacy products really say nothing about library cost-management
strategies.  You are probably not talking about the full range of
cost-management strategies, but just the ones that you are
predisposed to disagree with, such as OA approaches, both green
and gold.  I would argue that these strategies, or trials really
(as they are both fairly young in the history of the business
they are changing), have so far been surprisingly effective.

If we want an honest discussion on or around the grounds of this
thread, we should look at Elsevier profits on journals
established within the past 15 years (I bet there's a loss) and
we should look at what it would cost libraries to pay commercial
firms for access to the journal titles that are currently OA
(those thousands of titles that have been established in the past
15 years) -- we should also think about where costs in general
might be without the yardstick of OA journals, given the hokey
that gets said about what it costs to run peer review and to do
copy editing.  I know this leaves gold OA aside and there's a lot
more to be said, but I think there's enough here for a
discussion.

-Nat