Re: Price Rollback for SPIE Digital Library

As somebody who has commented on journal price rises in the past,
can I say how welcome this announcement from SPIE is.

I believe that publishers such as SPIE are stepping up to the
plate.  It is now up to the library community to try to ensure
that publishers who reduce their prices are rewarded in
purchasing decisions.  I know that it is difficult in the
dysfunctional journals market, but if we don't respond positively
to price reductions then there will be no incentive for
publishers to continue to offer them.

David

David C Prosser
Executive Director, RLUK