Re: Reed Elsevier results

Hi All

Increased profits from commercial publishers do not in any way
negate a statement that OA has massive growth.  There could be
many reasons that Reed Elsevier has increased its profits.

Reducing costs is one way to increase profits (This is discussed
in the article).  Increasing prices of publications and big deal
contracts is another.  This does not appear to be mentioned in
the article, but those of you who deal with library budgets can
comment on that.

Still it's nice to know that, in the midst of a world financial
crisis (where education institutions and libraries are being
forced to lay off staff, cut services, reduce operating hours,
etc., because of massive financial cuts)  companies that supply
publications to those same institutions are able to make such
impressive profits from those institutions.  I'm sure many
librarians sleep more easily at night knowing this.

Regards

Ken

Dr. Ken Masters
Asst. Professor: Medical Informatics