"Libraries Abandon Expensive 'Big Deal' Packages

>From the Chronicle of Higher Education:

"In late 2008, the University of Oregon's library faced a
financial double punch. The recession meant belt tightening
across the university at a time when the rising cost of journal
subscriptions had already put a strain on the library's
budget...Something had to give. That something, as it turned out,
was Oregon's so-called Big Deals with two heavyweight publishers,
Elsevier and John Wiley & Sons."

See: http://bit.ly/n7gEyf

Unfortunately you need to be a subscriber to get the full text of
the article. But I figured quite a few of you have institutional
subscriptions, so I'm passing it along...

Bernie Sloan