APS Redefines Length: How much is a picture worth?

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

APS Redefines Length: How much is a picture worth?

Ridge, NY, 14 July 2011 -- A goal for Letters and short papers is
to communicate key results and findings efficiently and
concisely. Authors work hard in many cases to maximize the
material presented within the constraints of the printed page.
Since page formatting occurs after scientific review, and despite
conscientious attempts by many authors to adhere to APS style
when submitting their work, formatting changes are often
required; our current scheme to estimate length, in spite of our
best efforts, is fairly inaccurate.  This naturally leads to
frustration, especially when authors are faced with the arduous
task of further editing and revising their work during the proof
stage, which sometimes leads to concessions in the clarity of the
text and the quality and quantity of referencing.  The tension
between clearly communicating the primary research results of an
investigation and giving proper attribution to prior literature
frequently leads to compromises that can be detrimental to
physics research.

Technological changes have moved publishing to electronic-first
publication where the print version has been relegated to simply
another display mode.  Distribution in HTML and EPUB formats, for
example, changes the reading environment and reduces the need for
strict pagination.  Therefore, in an effort to streamline the
calculation of length, the APS journals will no longer use the
printed page as the determining factor for length. Instead the
journals will now use word counts (or word equivalents for
tables, figures, and equations) to establish length; for details
please see http://publish.aps.org/authors/length-guide. The
title, byline, abstract, acknowledgment, and references will not
be included in these counts allowing authors the freedom to
appropriately credit coworkers, funding sources, and the previous
literature, bringing all relevant references to the attention of
readers.  This new method for determining length will be easier
for authors to calculate in advance, and lead to fewer
length-associated revisions in proof, yet still retain the
quality of concise communication that is a virtue of short
papers.  We will also use this opportunity to integrate
references contained in Supplemental Material into the paper.
This will expand the ease by which readers can gain a broad
perspective over the relevant literature and help to ensure that
these articles receive the credit they deserve.

This new method for constraining length was implemented on 11
July 2011.  You may spot the effect of this change mainly in PRL
where we fully expect to see a good number of Letters run onto a
fifth page.  We hope that authors will find this method easier to
use, and that it will reduce delays in the review and proof
stages and lead to more comprehensive referencing.  The relative
efficiency of this scheme, together with other ongoing efforts to
control our operational expenses, also allows the APS
subscription price-per-article, which we strive to keep among the
lowest of any physics journals, to be unaffected by this change.

A picture is worth 170 words, not one thousand, according to our
scheme.

Contact: Daniel T. Kulp, Editorial Director, American Physical
Society, dan@aps.org

About APS: The American Physical Society (www.aps.org) is a
non-profit membership organization working to advance and diffuse
the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research
journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy
and international activities.  APS represents 48,000 members,
including physicists in academia, national laboratories and
industry in the United States and throughout the world.  Society
offices are located in College Park, MD (Headquarters), Ridge,
NY, and Washington, DC.