RE: Loyalty fee

I don't think this is a common practice.  It is certainly the
case that libraries that are 'early adopters' of a product will
often benefit from better pricing than those who purchase later
on, for example when taking advantage of a prepublication or
early release offer, but these situations are usually clearly
framed as special time-limited offers intended to incentivize
early investment in an unproven product.

JSTOR offers better pricing to its charter participants, for
example, because those institutions took a risk in supporting
JSTOR when it was a new venture.  More similar to the case you
describe, I'm aware of one instance in which a journal publisher
has denied to later consortial participants the terms that it
offered to earlier participants, but in my experience this is
outside the norm and far less justifiable. To impose such a
distinction on a mature product and call it a 'loyalty fee' is a
rather unfortunate (if not subtly manipulative) characterization
more suitable to commodity purchasing than to complex information
resources IMO.

Ivy Anderson
Director of Collections
California Digital Library
University of California, Office of the President