Loyalty fee

Hi All,

Looking at the cost sharing model used for a particular product
within a particular consortium it is identified that considerable
variations exist among amounts paid by institutions of similar
nature. When this was queried the explanation was loyalty fee,
i.e., being an older member of the consortium. The difference
grows over the years and adjustment has become inevitable. But of
course this should be done without causing disturbance.

My questions are (a) is loyalty fee a common practice?-- I have
not come across it in any written source yet and would love to be
directed. --, (b) If yes, what would be regarded as an acceptable
ratio?

Thanks

Selma Aslan
Turkey