Re: Publishers - your thoughts on jobs for your authors

Of course the "system" is showing signs of strain.  It was
showing signs of strain when I was first introduced to it (that
is, the serials crisis) by Ann Okerson in 1993.  It'a also the
case that some people think the Big Deal is in fact a good deal.

But I am really being misquoted if David or anyone else thinks I
am saying that everything is hunky-dory.  My observation is that
opinion on the Big Deal is divided, but I do not know if that
division is split evenly or unevenly.  It would be interesting to
resolve this, and one way of getting at this is to assess actions
people are actually taking rather than simply polling opinions.
Someone who says, "The Big Deal is a terrible program for
libraries" and then proceeds to renew the various Big Deals is
suggesting that, bad as they are are, they are still better than
the alternatives.

Joe Esposito