RE: query about the Big Deal

Hi All

With response to one of David's comments: "Two things struck me
as particularly interesting. Firstly, the deafening silence from
faculty as access to little-used content was withdrawn."

It might be interesting, but it certainly is not surprising.  At
the institutions I've worked, many faculty have resigned
themselves to the fact that "support" is frequently exercised as
"We know best, and we will tell you what is going to happen. You
stick to teaching, we'll stick to [admin | performance appraisal
systems | IT | Library reseources| [insert other support service
here]."  Student systems are changed, LMSs changed, journals
cancelled, support for conferences altered, etc.  Fairly or
unfairly, the impression gained by faculty is that their input,
if obtained at all, is called for after a decision has already
been made.  The faculty input process is done merely to identify
the objections so that counter-arguments can be made.  It's also
a good way to identify "trouble-makers," those who are not "team
players" and who "don't understand the big picture."
Consultation sessions are little more than information
dissemination sessions.  Shut up and put up.

There's also a second, cleaver tactic that I've seen used: Make a
few extra proposals that are so outrageous that even the support
people don't believe them.  Then when objections are raised by
faculty, agree to drop those.  This action serves as proof that
the faculty input was taken seriously.

Unfortunately, it has a secondary negative spin-off.  When
someone from a support department does try to consult, they are
not taken seriously, because faculty believe it's a just a waste
of time, and the cycle continues.

Regards

Ken

----

Dr. Ken Masters
Asst. Professor: Medical Informatics
Medical Education Unit
College of Medicine & Health Sciences
Sultan Qaboos University
Sultanate of Oman
E-i-C: The Internet Journal of Medical Education