Re: Publishers - your thoughts on jobs for your authors and review=

I would think using David's approach, one would conclude that
Elsevier is a bargain.  I don't happen to agree with this
approach, though, so I won't make that assertion.

The merit of the traditional approach, of which Elsevier is the
exemplar, is not in making material available (the core tenet of
OA), but in making an assertion of what is and is not worth
putting any time into.  PLOS One proceeds from the opposite
impulse, that the idea of a publisher attempting to shape the
direction of research is inappropriate.

No reason we can't have both--and we do.  Over time these two
approaches will diverge even further in the kinds of material
they work with.  It takes a while for a new medium to find its
voice, and PLOS One is a new medium.

The traditional model works in its way; the author-pays model of
PLOS One and a slew of other services works in its way.  It's
only the so-called Green model that doesn't work, as it
undermines the economics of the traditional model, on which it
depends.

Why not simply let authors choose where they want to publish,
assuming they make the grade?  Isn't that a reasonable
consideration, that the people doing the creative work have some
say in how it is handled?

Joe Esposito