Re: query about the Big Deal

Hi Claudia

I think you make a good point about faculty involvement.  Some
institutions have gone for cancellation by stealth, but others
have consulted widely on their campuses and worked with the
faculty to both a) explain the problem and b) get feedback on
what constitutes the core titles for each subject.  However, few
libraries have issued press release trumpeting reduced access -
which was my point on under-reporting.

I must say that I was very encouraged by Scott's narrative of how
a well-managed retreat from the big deal can be a positive event
on campus.  I have also just seen a fascinating presentation from
Jonathan Nabe at Southern Illinois University Carbondale on their
withdrawal from the big deal:

http://opensiuc.lib.siu.edu/morris_confs/14/

Two things struck me as particularly interesting.  Firstly, the
deafening silence from faculty as access to little-used content
was withdrawn.  Secondly, the low conversation rate from
downloads to ILL requests.  It looks as if there is a lot of
'casual' reading of content.

The strategy of title-by-title selection for core journals
supplemented by ILL for rarely used material is exactly the
strategy that UK members of RLUK will adopt if we are unable to
reach satisfactory conclusions in our current negotiations with
the largest publishers.  It is reassuring to see examples where a
retreat from the big deal has been achieved with both financial
savings and low user disquiet.

David