Re: Publishers - thoughts on jobs for your authors and reviewers?

May I suggest that open access is indeed a solution - a solution
that increases the budget available for scholarly publishing,
possibly quite dramatically, should research funders start paying
APCs on a large scale. In 'public' economies finding a new/second
source from which to fund expenses often works (e.g. if the money
going into a national health insurance scheme is not enough, why
not raise tax on consumption and pump that money into the system
too...).

Publishers are right in rushing into new ventures to tap new
funding streams (though we may argue how well they go about
this...), and all the scholars condemned to 'publish or perish'
will be grateful to publishers for increasing publishing
opportunities.

Some publishers might then lament that certain formats or
disciplines are not doing so well, but I am not persuaded that
this is not simply due to a lack of business strategy, marketing
prowess and the ability to find the customer that will pay... for
the imperative to publish and purchase seems unbroken.

Chris Armbruster