RE: Elsevier and IOP Still Fully Green and Onside With the Angels

Steven Harnad writes:

"This distinction is completely empty. Your institutional website
and your institutional repository are just institutional disk
sectors with different (arbitrary) names."

On this point, at least, he is completely wrong.

1) When a scholar ends his or her relationship with an
institution, presumably their personal faculty page at that
institution also goes away. An institutional repository is
(theoretically) forever.

2) My understanding is that institutional repositories generally
include a fairly sophisticated database structure that allows for
searches of various kinds, and they may expose their metadata as
aggressively as possible to the Web as a whole. Personal faculty
pages are discoverable through Google or, perhaps, Google
Scholar.

3) Depositing into an institutional repository typically involves
some kind of release, granting particular license/rights to the
institution. Putting a link on a personal faculty page does not.

4) Given the increasing number of hosted services, an
institutional repository could be on disk space somewhere
completely different from the personal faculty page.

I am all for reducing barriers to open access, but can we please
be accurate about the statements we make in support of it?

Regards,
Mark Kille

*****

Mark Kille