RE: Palgrave Macmillan launch Open Access initiative

Rebecca,

As Charlene is out of the office I thought I would reply in her
stead.

Not enough is known about the potential for funding of OA
articles in the social sciences, across the globe. Palgrave Open
is in part an experiment, from which we hope to learn more about
this sector. It is a good thing if we are helping to generate
debate and discussion.

Pricing is one of the most significant and challenging elements
of this exercise. We have carefully assessed the cost of
producing article pages across the journals which are a part of
Palgrave Open. We have also reviewed existing hybrid models, most
being in STM, but by no means all. As we noted in our first
announcement, we also have to produce scaleable and sustainable
OA models.

The likelihood is that take-up will be light in the short term,
but we believe that this reflects the uncertainties around and
awareness of funding first and foremost, rather than pricing. And
this said, there are already articles in process and a first
article published at the time of launch.

At this stage there are no further announcements to make about
any subsidization of APCs. We will however be taking on board all
comments, which will not only inform the evolution of Palgrave
Open, but also our wider OA thinking and plans.

With thanks,
Laura
Laura Ingle
Journals Product Manager