Re: query about the Big Deal

I still use them, am happy with them, and feel I've negotiated
good prices for my consortia of a dozen not-for-profit health
care systems  My stats show use is down slightly over a few years
ago (UptoDate??)  People have quick access to most articles they
need from the Library web site  Our Interlibrary Loan costs have
dropped dramatically

Kathy Strube Aurora Health Care
Director, Aurora Libraries
2901 W Kinnickinnic River Pkwy, HS Bldg 1,
Milwaukee, WI 53215

Joe Esposito wrote:

I have been in a number of conversations the past few months
about Big Deals, in which I have been told such things as "The
Big Deal is over," "Everyone is cancelling the Big Deal," and
"Unless the prices come down, we will withdraw from the Big
Deals"  Has anyone documented what is actually going on?  I would
be very interested to hear of specific actions, whether on-list
or off

I suppose that this query runs into the question of definitions:
What exactly is a Big Deal anyway?  Does the term apply to all
aggregations or only those of a specific character?

This query is made without judging the actions or the Big Deals
themselves  I simply want to understand the phenomenon and to
determine if there is a gap between rhetoric and reality

Thank you

Joe Esposito