ALA Annual New Orleans
Date: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 4:00pm - 5:30pm
New Orleans Marriott (MAR)  555 Canal Street  Studio 7
Co-sponsored by the ACRL Information Literacy Coordinating
Committee

"Global trends and local actions for liaison and teaching
librarians to support changes in scholarly communication"

The ACRL Scholarly Communication Discussion Group will provide a
forum for a discussion of the intersections of information
literacy and scholarly communication programs, as a means to
connect the global to the local.  Dr. Dieter Stein, Professor of
English Language and Linguistics, Heinrich Heine University
(Germany), and organizer of the Berlin 6 conference, Julia
Gelfand of the University of California- Irvine and Stephanie
Davis-Kahl of Illinois Wesleyan University will help set the
stage with presentations from their experiences. Lorraine
Haricombe, Dean of Libraries at the University of Kansas, who
will speak at the SPARC-ACRL Forum will also participate in the
discussion.

Librarians are being asked to develop expertise in new kinds of
engagement across campus. Scholarly communication issues such as
open access, copyright, and data management are becoming
important for liaison and teaching librarians. How do we bring
global trends, such as the Berlin OA Conference, to our own
institutions through our education and outreach programs?

Examples of topics to explore are:

How do we engage faculty and students in discussions of open
access? How can information literacy programs help students learn
about the whole cycle of scholarly communications? Scholarly
communications librarians are frequently teachers; what can they
learn from the information literacy experts? What lessons can be
learned and ideas exchanged by librarians incorporating
information literacy and scholarly communication issues into
their work?

This discussion group brings a local approach to the topic of the
SPARC-ACRL Forum on Saturday, June 25, 2011 from 4:00 to 6:00 PM
at the Morial Convention Center, Room 383, which will zero in on
the motivation and drive behind the Berlin Declaration on Open
Access to Knowledge in the Sciences and Humanities.  Speakers
include Dr. Dieter Stein, Professor of English Language and
Linguistics, Heinrich Heine University (Germany), Lorraine
Haricombe, Dean of Libraries at the University of Kansas, and
Jennifer McLennan, Director of Programs and Operations for SPARC
and moderator of the Berlin 9 organizing coalition.

Lisa A. Macklin, MLS, JD
Director, Intellectual Property Rights Office of the Emory
University Libraries
Woodruff Library
540 Asbury Circle
Atlanta, GA 30322