query about the Big Deal

I have been in a number of conversations the past few months
about Big Deals, in which I have been told such things as "The
Big Deal is over," "Everyone is cancelling the Big Deal," and
"Unless the prices come down, we will withdraw from the Big
Deals."  Has anyone documented what is actually going on?  I
would be very interested to hear of specific actions, whether
on-list or off.

I suppose that this query runs into the question of definitions:
What exactly is a Big Deal anyway?  Does the term apply to all
aggregations or only those of a specific character?

This query is made without judging the actions or the Big Deals
themselves.  I simply want to understand the phenomenon and to
determine if there is a gap between rhetoric and reality.

Thank you.

Joe Esposito