Genes|Genoes|Genetics, a new, open-access journal

With apologies for cross-posting. we hope that our G3 journal
will achieve a following among open-access advocates. we'd
appreciate your support. the inaugural issue of G3 will be
published tomorrow, 21 June.

****

GSA Launches New Open-Access Journal, G3: Genes| Genomes |
Genetics New publication fills critical void in the literature to
provide a forum for foundational research

Bethesda, MD: The Genetics Society of America has launched a new
scholarly journal titled G3: Genes | Genomes | Genetics
(http://www.g3journal.org). G3 was created to meet the need for
rapid review and publication of high-quality foundational
research and experimental resources in genetics and genomics - an
outlet unrestricted by subjective editorial criteria of perceived
significance or predicted breadth of interest. This new journal
is peer-reviewed, peer-edited, and fully open access. The rapid
dissemination of research data via G3 provides the necessary
information base for analyses that promise to bring new insights
and breakthroughs.

"The need for this type of journal has existed for many years. I
am excited that the Genetics Society of America has filled the
void," said Brenda Andrews, Ph.D. Director of the Donnelly Centre
and Professor at the University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada. "The
information contained in G3 will provide critical resources for
researchers around the world studying the complex interactions of
genes and their applications in human health, and even for
personalized medicine."

As an open-access journal adhering to Creative Commons 3.0
guidelines, subscriptions are not required for readers to access
content. In addition, the journal will be indexed by PubMed and
hosted by Stanford University's HighWire Press. Those looking to
submit papers may do so through an online submission system at:

http://submit.g3journal.org/

Michael Eisen, Howard Hughes Investigator and Associate Professor
of Genetics, Genomics and Development in the Department of
Molecular and Cell Biology at the University of California,
Berkley, added, "As a ardent supporter of open access, and
co-founder of PLoS, I am thrilled that my society - Genetics
Society of America - is launching an open access journal. It's a
great thing for the genetics and genomics community, and a great
thing for science."

G3's articles describe useful, well-executed and
lucidly-interpreted genetic studies of all kinds, including
research that generates datasets such as genome maps, genome-wide
association and QTL studies, mutant screens, advances in methods
and technology, and more. Its editorial board of more than 65
editors taps the expertise of the community of geneticists in the
widest sense, from microbes to humans, from individuals to
populations, and from classic 'wet lab' experimentation to the
most recent innovations in bioinformatics.

Founded in 1931, the Genetics Society of America (GSA) is the
professional membership organization for geneticists and science
educators. Its nearly 5,000 members work to advance knowledge in
the basic mechanisms of inheritance, from the molecular to the
population level. GSA is dedicated to promoting research in
genetics and to facilitating communication among geneticists
worldwide through annual and biennial meetings that focus on the
genetics of particular organisms. GSA publishes GENETICS and G3:
Genes|Genomes|Genetics. For more information about GSA, visit:

www.genetics-gsa.org

###

Tracey DePellegrin Connelly
Executive Editor