From: Joseph Esposito [mailto:espositoj@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2011 04:50 PM
To: Liblicense-L@Lists. Yale. Edu <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Subject: Footnote to GSU discussion

I am not going to wade in further on the GSU debate itself, but
wish to add this footnote.  No one knows better than publishers
themselves how complicated copyright compliance is.  This is
because publishers have to clear copyright permissions all the
time, not only with a work's primary author (obviously) but also
with the copyright holders (or alleged holders) of the embedded
material in so many works, all those pesky photos and drawings
and charts.

My first full-time job in publishing was to handle rights and
permissions at Rutgers University Press.  There were some authors
who were diligent about clearing permissions (they went about it
with the rigor of a scholar), some who were careless.  The
administrative time that went into managing this process was way
out of proportion to the apparent economic benefits of strict
compliance and enforcement.

Now of course things are changing.  Electronic databases are
gradually making it easier to identify reuse of material (as
students asked to use the TurnItIn service can attest).  This
will change how we think about copyright, not just because the
Internet is one huge "copying machine," as some have called it,
but also because the Internet is one big generator of user logs
and other sometimes disturbing forms of control.  For better or
worse, the argument that it is burdensome to comply with
copyright requirements is going to slowly go away.

I am myself most interested in that future state: what will be
the place of copyright (if any) when everything is digital,
everything transparent to a highly motivated spider?  The
corollary to this is, what systems, procedures, and businesses
will arise that are native to that environment?

Joe Esposito