Re: Another post about the Georgia State copyright case

It is interesting that identical language accompanies the
checklist adopted by Cornell University during its negotiations
with the AAP to avoid a lawsuit back in 2005.  See their
checklist at:
http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/policies/docs/Fair_Use_Checklist.pdf.

If this language is a key to why GSU was sued, why was Cornell
not only spared a lawsuit, but advertised by the AAP as a model
citizen?

It seems to me that what has changed is the publishers' tolerance
for what had long been considered acceptable fair use practice.
As the economics of publishing worsened and new sources of income
seemed necessary, policies that were approved of six years ago
suddenly became behavior worthy of a lawsuit.

Kevin L. Smith, M.L.S., J.D.
Director of Scholarly Communications
Duke University, Perkins Library
P.O. Box 90193