From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Anthony Watkinson
Sent: 15 June 2011 23:36
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: RE: Measuring citations

I would like to make two comments on this topic.

I entirely agree that the work of Bollen and his colleagues is
excellent and any presentations from the work worth reading.
No-one that I know of thinks that the use of the impact factor
for a journal is the best way to judge the true impact of an
article in a journal (whatever true impact means). However the
impact factor (used in this way) seems to reign supreme and as
far as the journal is concerned it is not some conspiracy among
publishers that results in the huge pressure to increase or
maintain the impact factor for the journals they are responsible
for. The pressure comes from the community. The publisher is
under pressure (manifested at any editorial board meeting or
interaction with a society partner) to do everything they can to
improve the IF. Such pressure can certainly (in my experience)
get in the way of taking measures to develop the journal so it
best serves the longer term interest of the journal as
appropriately serving the community in question and the progress
of knowledge. Of course the publisher wants to either boast or
keep quiet about the journal and its IF - see any journal site.

The second point I want to make is that I think Joe is wrong in
implying that publishers invest in copy-editing with the
intention to improve impact factors. I have looked back at the
blog-posting by Phil and I do not think he says that and
certainly his source did not suggest it. I assume it is an
assumption by Joe.

I have checked with friends in the industry I am no longer part
of and it is a new idea for them. Automated reference checking
systems in which they have for some years considerable investment
has been made are invested in to facilitate linking so it is
usually some other journal that gets the advantage. I suppose you
could say that the whole of CrossRef is a conspiracy of
publishers (as I know some people do) but I would suggest that
the massive impact of linking properly was intended to benefit
the academic community.

Of course the side affect was to make most references at the end
the article accurate. In the "old days" I recall that at least
20% of references were incorrect in spite of some journals using
intensive manual checking even to the extent of visiting
libraries!

Anthony