Re: Measuring citations

I agree that the pressure comes from the community.  That
pressure also varies among disciplines.  Business, for example,
is a major culprit, with the AACSB accreditation process
ratcheting up pressure further.  As far back as the early 1990s,
when I was working at a business library in another institution,
I was asked to provide a ranked list of journals (groups A-D) for
consideration both by AACSB and by promotion and tenure
committees.  You can imagine the inequity that would have
resulted had I agreed to do this, which I did not.

There are occasions when we lay at the vendors' feet the problems
we create ourselves.

Aline