RE: Another post about the Georgia State copyright case

The checklist is accessible here:
http://www.usg.edu/copyright/fair_use_checklist

Note how the Instructions begin: "Where the factors favoring fair
use outnumber those against it, reliance on fair use is
justified. Where fewer than half the factors favor fair use,
instructors should seek permission from the rights holder. Where
the factors are evenly split, instructors should consider the
total facts weighing in favor of fair use as opposed to the total
facts weighing against fair use in deciding whether fair use is
justified."

Copyright expert Robert Kasunic writing in the Columbia Journal
of Law & the Arts has this to say that shows how contrary these
instructions are to the spirit of fair-use analysis::

"Only by accepting the value of all of the factors will the
promise of the multifaceted approach espoused by Judge Leval (and
Justice Souter in Campbell) become a reality. No factor is
superior, nor is any interrelationship of the factors dominant.
All of the factors are perspectives of the whole picture, and the
whole picture can only be understood by mining all of the
information that is available from the unique perspective of each
factor. The factors are guides to intensive fact gathering. None
of the factors weigh in favor or against fair use. Rather, their
cumulative information provides the basis for the analysis as a
whole. The fair use analysis is not a tally sheet, but an
examination of the interrelationships of the facts and the
factors, while keeping in mind the primary purpose of copyright."
Note especially the repudiation of the idea that fair-use
analysis is a "tally sheet"!

Contrast this with the checklist as presented at Columbia
University, prepared by Kenneth Crews:
http://copyright.columbia.edu/copyright/fair-use/fair-use-checklist/.

Nowhere do you find this language about adding up checks in each
column to arrive at a fair-use decision. This was language that
GSU added to the policy when it borrowed it from Columbia and
serves further to show how differently GSU acts from other
universities in this context--still an outlier, even when it
tried to conform more to the norm of policies adopted elsewhere.

I agree that much will depend on whether the judge in the GSU
case notices this crucial difference and will choose to make
anything of it. IMHO, it is a key difference.

Sandy Thatcher