Re: Another post about the Georgia State copyright case

Excuse me, but who subsidizes Oxford, Cambridge, or Sage?  The
first two return rather substantial amounts of money to their
home universities, who do not seem to be complaining about what
their presses are doing.  Indeed, some years ago Oxford
University specifically used some of the "surplus" its Press
generated to help the university compete with salaries offered to
star faculty members by American Ivy League and other well-off
schools.  I'm pretty sure that didn't help OUP's year-to-year
operations.  Pint is, this is all a lot more complicated than
evil publishers aligned against virtuous librarians.

To my mind, this whole episode began with the extreme policy
Sandy cites.  Extreme ideological behavior tends to beget equal
and opposite reactions; I expect blame and credit can be found
everywhere, depending on the observer's point of view.  The
really unfortunate aspect in all this is that it tends to drown
out moderate voices on both sides who are trying to discover new
and innovative ways to cooperate.  Though ideologically driven
behavior seems to be part of the zeitgeist, many university press
publishers and many librarians have worked to counter it over the
past few years, exemplified by the ARL-AAUP working group founded
this past year following several years of gradually increasing
library-press meetings and exchanges and working together on
actual projects.  Kudos to the moderates.

Alex Holzman
Director
Temple University Press