RE: Another post about the Georgia State copyright case

The plaintiffs in this case had clever lawyers as well, from a
prominent New York law firm.  I very much doubt they would have
encouraged their clients to bring a federal lawsuit in order to
vindicate a sense of moral outrage; that is an extravagance even
these wealthy, and well-subsidized, publishers could hardly
afford.  This case is, and always has been, about money.  As it
begins to appear that the gamble of suing one's customers in
order to squeeze out greater revenues has been a losing one, it
is inevitable, I suppose, that it will be dressed up as a matter
of principle.

By the way, I do not address the issue of the application of the
new GSU policy for the sound reason that I know nothing about it.
All I have seen is the highly partisan rhetoric found in the
plaintiffs' filings, which Sandy repeats here.  The judge may or
may not see things the same way, and it is her opinion that
matters now.

Kevin L. Smith, M.L.S., J.D.
Scholarly Communications Officer
Duke University